Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Little Dog Knocking

It's 8:00 p.m. and I'm home alone.  Well basically since my 15 year old son is barricaded in his bedroom for the night and my husband is out at a conference.  Knock, knock, knock.  Who is knocking on my garage entrance door?  This is especially frightening since I haven't met anyone lately that would be dropping by on a moment's notice.

My heart beating, I slowly open the door to see a woman and her Jack Russell terrier by her side and and at her other side, Napoleon.  I could barely comprehend this situation.  She (Lisa) said she found my little dog all alone at the end of the driveway by the street.

This could not be happening.  My 7 pound Yorkie does not get away from me especially since moving to this coyote, bobcat and rattlesnake infested state called Arizona.  But he did.  For 1 hour.  Lisa was walking her dog and noticed something small and dark moving around and upon looking further, noticed it was a small dog, alone.  She said he started walking towards my garage and she followed him and he went right up to the door inside the garage leading to the house.  Lisa helped Napoleon "knock" on the door to ask to be let in.  I figured it had been one hour since my son or I had been in or out a door and he must have quietly walked out unseen, though I still can't believe I could let that happen.

It is only by a sheer miracle that Napoleon is still here today.  By the laws of nature, he should have been snatched and eaten by one of the animals of prey around here.  Sorry.   It's just food chain basics.  He would be a chicken wing for a mountain lion.  I don't take that lightly and would die of heartbreak if that ever happened.

I guess a funny way to look at it is that he was trying to run away because he was mad about something.   Maybe he just had enough of my picking at his eye boogers or maybe I didn't put enough Cheerios in his breakfast bowl or maybe I didn't let him check enough "pee" mail on our morning walk.    So he packed up his bags and ran away.  To the end of the driveway.  

So Lisa,  I have you to thank for saving my dog's life.  Really.  I am so thankful that you happened to be walking your dog Zoey at the right time in the right place last night.  I'm so glad you're the type of person who doesn't just walk by when things don't look right.

As I am snuggling with Napoleon this morning, I can't help but think I could be mourning a loss right now, but because an angel was watching out for me, I still have my most favorite little guy in the world.

The Escape Artist

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Napolean, so glad you're okay!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's lounging happily in a sunspot on the dining room floor right now!

      Delete