Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Faking My Way Through It

I don't love golf, but Scott does and wants to try out as many courses as possible before making a decision to join a country club.  We just finished our third round in three days.  I'm exhausted.  Today was especially hard because we had a caddie join us.  This means I had an audience for 18 holes.  I have severe performance anxiety so this pretty much caused me to freeze up.  I don't care how pleasant and easy-going a person is, I can't shake the feeling of being watched and judged.  Plus the chattery golf banter that goes on makes me feel like an imposter.  I don't understand about bogies, chipping, slicing, greens speeds or scrambles.  It's like a foreign language.  I don't know which club to use and I especially don't know where the cart can and cannot go.  Suffice to say, I'm a ball of stress when I play, but even more so when someone is watching.  And it's supposed to be a relaxing, fun game?

I flubbed my way through and even hit a few unexpected great shots.  But, don't sign me up for a membership any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment